· How many children do you have?
· How old are your children?
· What are the names of your children?
· What personality characteristics do your children have? / What are the children’s personalities like?
· How does the kids get along with each other?
· Is there anything in specific I should know about the children?
· What responsibilities will I have regards to each child?
· What would you like me to do with the children?
· What do the children like to do? What are their hobbies and interests?
· How does the children feel about having an au pair?
· Am I allowed to invite other au pairs with kids for playdates?
· What do you think is most important when you raise a child?
· How do you react when the kids are mean to each other/someone else, and how would you like me to act?
· How do the children feel about a new au-pair joining the family? Did the family have a good relationship with the last au-pair?
· (Are the kids potty trained?)
· What are your family's needs and expectations?
· Do both you and your husband/wife work? (If yes, where do you work? Do you work outside your home?)
· Do you have any animals? If yes – what responsibilities will I have with it?
· How important is religion to your family? Do you go to church often?
· What are your family's hobbies and interests?
· What do you do in your spare time as a family? Do you as a family has any interests or activities?
· How does your family celebrate holidays and birthdays in your home? Would I be able to join?
· If you go on a vacation/on holidays, is your Au Pair welcome to come with you?
· How much time would we spend together as a family?
· Would you think of me as a family member or as an employee?
The schedule/my assignments
· Other than caring for the children, what else would you expect me to do? (What duties would I perform? What household tasks do you need my help with?)
· How would a typical day look like for me in your family?
· Would I have the same schedule every day during the week?
· Would my schedule change during the summer/other times during the year?
· Do I have the weekends off?
The house and the area
· Where do you live? In the city, in the suburb or in the countryside?
· What does your neighborhood/area look like?
· What does your house look like?
· How would my room look like? Would I have my own bathroom?
· Do you have Internet, which I can connect to my own computer?
· What can I do with the children in the area?
· What can I do in my spare time in the area?
· Are there any colleges or universities in the area where you live?
· Are there other Au Pairs in the area you live in?
· Is there a public transportation system in the area you live in?
· Ask about the climate.
· What type of clothes should I bring?
· (Could you send my some pictures of the house, my room, the kids and other things you'd like to show me?)
· Do you have any specific rules I should know about when it comes to the children?
· Do you have any specific "house rules" that I would have to follow?
· Would I have a curfew? (If I'm working the next day/If I'm free the next day)
· Would I be allowed to have friends come over to the house?
· Do you have any special rules? (Friends over, sleepovers, times when I have to be home etc.)
· Would I be driving the children? How often/how far?
· Would I have access of a car in my spare time?
v Would I be allowed to drive wherever I would like with the car?
v Or would I only be allowed to drive in specific areas?
v Would I be allowed to drive on any kinds of roads?
v Would I have to pay the gas by myself?)
· Would I have a curfew on the car?
· Would I have to get an American driving license in the state you live in?
· What made you interested in my application?
· What do you expect of me as an au pair?
· What qualities do you look for in an au pair?
· Why do you need an au pair/Why are you interested in having an au pair?
· Have you had an Au Pair before?